How do I describe to you, how scrumptious this mac and cheese is?
I'm not even sure if there is a good enough word. I have an idea...how about you
make this and let me know what your word is for it. Deal? All I do know, is that there
is something pretty magical when you combine BBQ chicken and mac and cheese
together. Let this be your Sunday Dinner. Your spouse will thank you.
BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese
3 chicken breasts ( cut into chunks )
1/2 bottle of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce
1/2 of a red onion
3 tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
salt, pepper and garlic powder
4 cups of whole milk
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of nutmeg
1 box pasta shells
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups monterey jack cheese
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1) Cook onion in skillet with olive oil until tender...set side. In the same skillet, put
chicken and BBQ sauce in pan and cook until done. Set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and 1/2 teaspoon
of salt. Stirring frequently, until mixture is pale and golden. Cook about 2 minutes.
3) Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk, add 2 more cups milk and cayenne.
and whisk until smooth. Cook mixture and stirring constantly along bottom of the
pan until boiling 6 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Simmer gently stirring
occasionally, until sauce thickens. About 8 to 10 min.
4) Meanwhile, In a large pot of boiling water. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain
and return pasta to it's pot.
5 ) Remove milk mixture from stove and quickly stir in cheeses, salt, pepper, garlic
powder, dash of nutmeg, worcestershire and mustard.
6) Mix cheese sauce into pasta and top with chicken and onions.
Note...you can mix in the chicken and onions into the mac and cheese directly
but I like to put on top for a pretty presentation. Enjoy.